It’s not uncommon for many homeowners to want to fix heat pump problems themselves to save a few bucks. However, these are complex machines, and if you don’t have the training, you might end up making the problem worse. If your heat pump fails to keep you as comfortable as it has in the past, then it’s best to call an experienced heat pump specialist like KC’s 23 ½ Hour Plumbing & Air Conditioning. Since 1980, we’ve serviced the residents of Palm Springs and beyond and we’ve never seen a heat pump problem we couldn’t fix.
When you need emergency heating repair, you can count on us and our 24/7 emergency heating repair.
Common Heat Pump Problems
Heat pumps are an energy efficient alternative to heat and cool your home, because they transfer heat from one place to another, they use less energy than other systems, saving you money. And while heat pumps are extremely reliable, like any machine, they can develop problems that hinder their performance. Here are the typical heat pump problems you might encounter and when you should call a professional for heat pump repair.
- No Warm Air — If your heat pump isn’t providing warm air, it could be several issues causing the problem. For starters, it could be an issue with a thermostat that was improperly wired. It could als be that you don’t have the right thermostat for your system. If you install a new heat pump, make sure you get a thermostat made specifically for those machines.
- Your Heat Pump Blows Cold Air — If your heat pump blows cold air, it could be that you have an issue with the refrigerant, the compressor or a valve. Before you call a technician, double check to make sure the system is set to the correct mode and check to see if it’s defrosting, which means you’ll have to wait until it’s finished to get warm air.
- Insufficient Heating — If your heat pump is running and it’s not giving you the desired temperature, it usually means the system isn’t running efficiently, which can be caused by various issues. However, most times, the problem lies with a blocked vent or a dirty air filter.
- Odd Sounds — It’s common for a heat pump to make noise, so if you’ve used a heat pump for any length of time, you know what the normal sound is when it’s operating. So, if you notice that your system is suddenly making noises that you haven’t heard before, it’s wise to call a professional for an inspection.
If you’ve made an attempt to fix your heat pump issue yourself, but didn’t have success, or if the problem is beyond your skill set, call KC’s 23 ½ Hour Plumbing & Air Conditioning and let one of our highly trained experts figure out what’s going on.
How to Know When it’s Time for Heat Pump Replacement
While heat pumps are reliable, they don’t last forever, even if you maintain them properly. The average heat pump is good for about 15 years, and after that time, you should plan on replacing it. However, even with proper maintenance, some heat pumps can develop issues that cause them to fail sooner than expected. Here are the typical signs that it’s time to replace your heat pump.
- Repairs becoming more frequent
- Sudden spike in your energy bills
- Inconsistent temperature between rooms
- Humidity issues
- Visual damage like rust
- Excessive dust in the house
- Your system is unusually loud
Although all of these problems point to needing heat pump replacement, it’s always best to consult with a professional for their advice. Sometimes, you can get a few more years of usage with a simple repair, while in other instances, repairing it may cost nearly as much as installing a new system. If you’re not sure whether it’s time to replace your heat pump or not, call KC’s 23 ½ Hour Plumbing & Air Conditioning and schedule a consultation with one of our trained professionals.
Our gas log fireplaces are a great way to add heat, beauty, and ambiance to your Palm Springs home. Contact us for more information.
Why Choose us For Your Heat Pump Installation?
After opening its doors in 1978, KC’s 23 ½ Hour Plumbing & Air Conditioning quickly became the area’s go-to plumbing and HVAC contractor for countless residents and businesses throughout Palm Springs, Indio, Palm Desert, and Riverside County. Our mission is simple, which is to do right by every customer who hires us, and we do that by offering 24/7 emergency support and a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
We strive to be the service team you can rely on when it comes to fast, efficient plumbing and AC services.